Friday, May 9, 2008

33 Weeks and What a Day!


7:00AM - Henry wakes up, eats and waves goodbye to Tookie (love you Tookie!)
10:00AM - Courtney arrives with Adelaide, Chandler and Raleigh (left to right) followed by Malia with Will to watch Henry while I go to the Doctor (thanks friends!)
11:00AM - I come home from the Doctor (all goes well!) and Henry leaves with his friends to go to the Zoo
8 hours later, it gets interesting...
7:00 - Henry goes to bed.
7:30 - Both kitchen sinks starts filling up with brown water and other unmentionables, smelling of oil, including flies, clay, hair etc.
8:00 - Mr. Roto Rooter arrives, charging out at $200/hour
8:15 - Mr. Roto rooter takes me to the basement where the laundry room has competely flooded (sadest part - ruining all my martha stewart magazines and some decorative paper storage boxes I had stored them in)
8:30 - Henry awakes to sounds of electric hammer drain snake
9:00 - Mr. Roto Rooter leaves with our credit card number and a scolding about:


  • not putting ANYTHING down the garbage disposal (or removing it altogether, unless I really liked him and wanted to see him again - he's an expensive date)

  • not using powder dishwasher detergent

  • not using powder laundry detergent

  • once a month: using some kind of draino product and 8 hours later filling your sinks up completely letting them drain at once to self flush the line

John is in Portland for the night with customers - which although I would have probably liked to trade places with him, I could tell he would have much rather been here helping us. Poor Jack - but someone has to work around here so the Roto Rooter man gets paid! :)


10:00 - Liz throws whatever towels she has on the laundry room floor and shuts the door

10:15 - Liz goes to bed


Somehow, everything is always better in the morning light. Wish you all a good day!

7 comments:

Heidi Bruch said...

Are you kidding me? All after I talked to you last night??!!! I am so sorry and OF COURSE it was the night Jack was gone. CHEERS to you for having to take care of all of that yourself. YUCK!

But good news at the Dr appt. yesterday makes up for it all, doesn't it? :-) Love you!

Joia Poort said...

I'm so sorry that happened Liz! The morning after I was put on bedrest with #2 (at 21w) a flatbed truck backed into my car (which was sitting in my driveway) while I was still in bed. Your post reminded me of the hassle of it all and how not-restful it was for being on bedrest! Glad all is well now. And, the best news is the great OB appt!

pati said...

Liz,

I kept thinking about you today and wanting to stop the work I was doing to call you, yet I didn't. I am so sorry that you had to experience drain problems. Glad to hear that you just threw towels in the laundry room and didn't try to clean it up yourself. I've been saying lots of prayers for you, the wee one, Henry and John. Thanks for sharing your life - the good and the not so fun parts of life.

Love, Pati

Anonymous said...

Liz, so sorry to read about your drains getting clogged! Good to see your doctor appt. went well though! You and John are in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Walker

Anonymous said...

LIZ! Oh man :(.

I love the photo of all the kids + so glad to read that the apt went well. Excited to see you this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! If anyone can get through that it's you. And I bet you looked great through the hole thing! Can't wait to see the new addition.

Andrea said...

(found you through someone else's blog!)

this is a bummer, and so annoying to clean up. i have 10+ years of Martha magazines that I'm ready to get rid of! if they weren't so heavy, I would gladly mail every last one of them to you!